April 22, 2009

Engaged!

On Easter morning I took Lindsey out for a sunrise walk in Catalina State Park outside Tucson, Arizona. It was cloudy when we got there (around 6am), so the "sunrise" part was up in the air. We decided we'd just go for a hike for a bit, so we picked a trail off the map and started walking. Lindsey was snapping pics of the various flowers and cacti that lined the trail. I'd spotted this wild looking tree at the trail head that I wanted to check out (Lindsey loves trees). We intended to read the resurrection story and pray while were out there and figured the tree would be a prime spot, except it was right next to the parking lot. I didn't want people wandering by or anything.

After walking/exploring for about an hour, I suggested we pick a different spot to read since the tree was so close to the road. Lindsey agreed, and after like 2 seconds, points and says "how about the rock out there." Perfect. This large rock in the middle of a field. It was a great spot.

We sat and read the 4 resurrection accounts. The Lindsey read a great passage from John 16 where Jesus talks about his death. The part that jumped out at me was the one where he says "I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy" (vs 20). I loved hearing Lindsey read it. The verse was so refreshing. The world celebrates the most unnecessary and vile things, and Jesus promises that our grief will turn to joy. He's conquered it. What a moment of peace it was out there.

I then asked Lindsey if we could stand while we prayed to "get a better view" of the mountains around us. I prayed a very pointed prayer, thanking God for Lindsey and for conquering death in all it's forms. I said "amen."

I opened my eyes, and we were looking right at each other. My heart was pounding. I told Lindsey that I loved her. I waited another 2 seconds, checked my footing on the rock (didn't want to fall off), then, pulling the ring* out of my pocket, got down on my right knee and asked Lindsey to marry me. She gasped as I got down and replied "of course!"

I heeded the prophet Beyonce's call. It fit (and fits) perfectly. We stood there in each other's arms for several more minutes, took some pics, then made our way back to the tree, where we took some more pictures.

We smiled a lot.

*The ring has a garnet, Lindsey's birthstone, as the main piece. It's got 3 diamonds on each side of it, and a tiny little diamond on the front and back of it.

2 Comments:

At 5:32 PM , Blogger wgkealey said...

Dang dude. Great story. You're a classy guy. Sounds like you've found your lady too. I'm happy for you. I was reading it and thinking, "OH man, he's gonna do it..."

On a side note, I've been thinking about your post relating Fugazi lyrics and team loyalty (especially in hockey). You were so spot on, and it's sad.

 
At 11:13 AM , Blogger Jonathan Ziegler said...

Congrats dude! That's so awesome!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home