June 17, 2009

NHL Awards.

The NHL's annual award show is tomorrow night in Las Vegas (which, by the way, is ridiculous). My good friend Weegie sent me an email about who I thought would bring home the hardware this year. I hadn't thought about it much, so I'm quite grateful that he brought it up. Thanks Weeg.

Vezina Trophy (top goalie): I think Tim Thomas is a good bet. The Bruins were so good in the regular season. Steve Mason is the runner up.

Norris Trophy (top defenseman): I'm reading a lot saying Chara is going to win (again, mostly due to the Bruins amazing regular season). People are saying Lidstrom was "quiet." I think that's funny, he's had a quiet year but is still in the top 3? I hope he wins it again, he's getting old for sure. Mike Green is at least a year away from winning this.

Calder Trophy (top rookie): Steve Mason is a lock for the Calder. Ryan and Versteeg are solid, but Mason was the big story this year and was a major reason the Blue Jackets made the playoffs for the first time in their history.

Selke Trophy (top defensive-forward): The Selke's one I really like. I'm real into 2-way forwards (Rod Brind'Amour, Bob Gainey was an older one, Bobby Clarke, Kris Draper, etc). My current favorite player, Mike Richards, is a first time-nominee this year. His all-around ability (and that he plays for the Flyers) is what makes him my favorite. I think Pavel Datsyuk of the Red Wings will win. He's won it last year and had another great season. Richards is definitely the second best. I think Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks was nominated because they nominate 3 players. Datsyuk and Richards are way ahead of everyone else. That being said, Datsyuk is incredible. He puts up 90-95 points a year and wins the top DEFENSIVE forward award. He is easily one of the top 4 players in the league, if not top 3 (yes, 3).

Lady Byng Trophy (sportsmanship): Datsyuk will most likely win this again (it would be his 4th). He's up against Martin St. Louis and Zach Parise. This is Parise's first nomination. St. Louis' been nominated two other times and has yet to win.

Hart Trophy (most valuable player): Ovechkin's my pick. Malkin could beat him, Datsyuk will not win.

Mark Messier Leadership Award: I love Jarome Iginla (tough, 2-way leader type), so I'm pulling for him. But I think the Cup victory will really weigh in for Sidney Crosby.

These are the ones I had thoughts on. There are some other great trophies up for grabs that I won't go in to. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home