July 16, 2009

Life/Wedding Update.

As I write, there are 17 days left until Lindsey and I get married. The invites have been mailed and the RSVP date is this coming Sunday. We're collecting a head count and spent much of yesterday afternoon at the church arranging the tables and chairs in the fellowship hall. Lindsey's had 2 bridal showers of 3 and we're about to head over to our new apartment to organize and put stuff away.

One of the most exciting parts of the day-to-day acitivities of wedding planning is checking our registries to see what we've gotten. Every time Lindsey or I sees something new that's been purchased, we text the other and say "we got (item)!!" One of the personal highlights is the 500 chip poker set that I'll own after August 2nd. We've asked for many things based on the apartment we do/will have. It's cool to have it come together.

I've been working at the Staunton Starbucks and as far as working goes, I like it. The people that work there are solid and it's very hands-on work. One of the things I couldn't handle about the caseworking job I had in Philly was that it was that there were very few short-term results to motivate me to keep working at it. There were no checkpoints or anything, it was constant work without rewards. Making drinks for people is very different in the sense that you're told what to make and you make it. Finished product in about 3-4 minutes. I also get to see how being profit-driven as the primary and ultimate goal really numbs people as to how they reach that goal. That side of it is both exciting and discouraging at the same time because it's right in front of you.

During the wedding countdown I've often asked Lindsey who won the Stanley Cup on the corresponding day (e.g. at 64 days it would be 1964, the Maple Leafs' last of 3 in a row. Wikipedia Bobby Baun and you'll get a great story). I only ask her the question if I know the answer. I asked her today. Today is significant because 1917 was the year in which the Cup was first won by an American team. It wasn't the Rangers or Bruins or any of the other U.S. based Originial 6 teams. It was the Seattle Metropolitans. I love that trivia tidbit.

That's it for now.

Peace.

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM , Blogger wgkealey said...

sounds exciting man.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home