August 8, 2009

Jeremy Roenick.

One of my all-time favorite Flyers retired on my birthday 2 days ago. Here's the nhl.tv video.

There's also a great article on The Hockey News. I remember the preseason before Roenick's first year with the Flyers. I went with Jeremy, our brothers, and Jeremy's dad to Trenton to see a game with the Flyers and Islanders. Roenick had signed that offseason, and I'd forgotten that he was now a member of my favorite team. We stood right against the bars where the players came out of the tunnel and watched them go by just about a foot from us. When I saw J.R., I yelled "Jeremy Roenick!" out of pure excitement. He was a stud player now suiting up for my team, I was stoked. I was not even trying to get his attention. He looked right at me, and with a big smile, high-fived me with his right glove without saying a word or missing a beat. From that moment he was one of my favorites.

In April (or early May) of my freshman year at Temple, the Flyers made a great playoff run that tok them within a game of the Stanley Cup Final. They played the Maple Leafs in the second round and the sixth game went to overtime. It was one of the most intense periods I've ever seen. Mad stressful too. J.R. netted the game winner and sent the Flyers to the next round. I remember my heart pounding for about 15 minute after the game. It was awesome.

I'll miss you J.R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home