October 15, 2009

Hockey People.

Last night I had a couple from Toronto come through Starbucks. They were on their way home. When I found out they were from Toronto, I got really excited and asked if they were Leafs fans. They were (and probably still are). We chatted for a minute, and shook hands and wished each others' teams well for the season. I smiled a big smile.

About an hour later, a woman came in wearing a Predators jacket and t-shirt. We started chatting and I told her that my lovely wife and I are going to the Blackhawks game on Saturday in Chicago(!!) and that we're really excited and such. I told her about the Toronto folks an hour before and she gave me two big thumbs down. I said, "no, no, it was great. I love talking to hockey people, especially Canadian ones. You gotta' see it kinda' like denominations in Christianity, we root for different teams, but we're following the same sport, we're family." She understood.

I wished them well in their travels and they left. I smiled again. Hockey people are great. You got "family" all over the place. I mean, even if you come in wearing some devils or Penguins jersey, we can talk hockey. And that's what's important. We can connect right off the bat.

I love hockey people.

PS: Youtube some Coaches Corner. It's hilarious, ridiculous, and informative. Don Cherry is a complete madman and watching Ron MacLean react week after week is priceless.

1 Comments:

At 11:56 AM , Blogger wgkealey said...

I like hockey people too. Unfortunately, you also meet a lot of people who like "their team" but don't really like hockey. Far too often.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home